Let’s face it. Job searches can be overwhelming! If you are currently looking for a job, chances are that you already use artificial intelligence (AI). If you’re not, you should definitely consider it!
AI can be used to automate mundane tasks, help you find the most relevant job postings, and improve your chances of standing out from the competition. Additionally, AI has altered the way recruiting happens - not only do candidates have to get past human gatekeepers when they are searching for a new job, but they also have to pass the screening of AI that continues to become more sophisticated.
Benefits of Using AI in Your Job Search
The job search process can be a long, arduous, and often dispiriting endeavor. A great benefit about AI is that it can decrease some of the mundane tasks in the job search such as updating your resume, customizing cover letters, and applying for jobs. Fortunately, the use of AI in job searches can make the process easier, faster, and more efficient.
Here are some examples below:
- AI-driven job search platforms use algorithms to match job seekers with employers that are a good fit. Rather than spending time manually searching through job postings, AI can quickly and accurately search through a database of job postings, find the ones that match your skills and interests, and recommend them to you. This can help you find the right job faster, without having to manually review hundreds of postings.
- AI can also help job seekers create stronger resumes and cover letters. AI-powered resume and cover letter builders can automatically format text, suggest language to use, and even find keywords to make sure your applications stand out to employers. At EarnBetter, we offer a free resource to do this for you - visit earnbetter.com to get started!
- Finally, AI can help job seekers prepare for interviews. AI-driven interview coaching platforms use natural language processing to analyze job descriptions and create customized interview questions tailored to the job. This can help job seekers practice for interviews and give them the confidence they need to make a good impression.
What is ChatGPT and How Can It Help Me?
Put simply, ChatGPT is like a really smart computer program that can talk to you like a human. It uses a lot of fancy math and data to understand what you're saying and respond in a way that makes sense. Think of it like having a conversation with a super intelligent friend who can answer almost any question you have!
Employers are using AI to their advantage, so it’s only fair that job seekers leverage this powerful tool. Here are some examples:
- Provide job search tips and advice: ChatGPT can provide tips and advice on how to conduct a successful job search. For example, it can suggest strategies for finding job openings, creating an effective resume, and preparing for interviews.
- Help with interview preparation: ChatGPT can assist with interview preparation by answering common interview questions and providing advice on how to answer them. It can also provide tips on how to dress for an interview, what to bring, and how to follow up after the interview.
- Offer career guidance: ChatGPT can help job seekers explore different career paths and suggest job options that align with their skills and interests. It can also provide information on job growth projections and average salaries for different professions.
- Provide resources and information: ChatGPT can provide links to job search websites, job boards, and other resources to help job seekers find job openings. It can also answer questions about things like salary negotiation, benefits, and other job-related topics.
Drawbacks of Using AI for Job Seekers
While AI can provide many advantages to employers, it can also be a source of frustration for job seekers. Here are some of the biggest disadvantages of using AI to job seekers.
- Lack of Transparency: AI systems are often opaque and difficult to understand. As a result, job seekers may not understand why they were rejected for a position or how the AI system made its decision. This lack of transparency can leave job seekers feeling frustrated and confused.
- Biased Decisions: AI systems can be biased if they are not programmed correctly. For example, an AI system might automatically reject candidates based on certain criteria, such as gender or ethnicity, without considering their qualifications. This can lead to unfair decisions and put certain groups of people at a disadvantage.
- Unstructured Questions: AI systems are not yet sophisticated enough to understand unstructured questions. This means that job seekers may not be able to ask their questions in a way that the AI system can understand. This can limit the job seeker’s ability to truly express themselves and make a good impression on the employer.
- Limited Feedback: AI systems are unable to provide meaningful feedback to job seekers. Without feedback, job seekers may not be able to understand why they were rejected or what they could do to improve their chances of getting the job.
Artificial Intelligence can be very helpful both for employers and candidates, but remember everything has its limitations. Do not just rely on these modern technologies as they will not guarantee you to get hired. You may use these tools to streamline your job search and increase your chances of landing your dream job.