You're not the only one who's feeling stressed about how to customize each and every cover letter. Job seeking is a job in and of itself, and your stack of applications is growing higher by the day. The good news? We've got a solution for you. Keep reading to find out how to make your job search just a little bit easier.
And friendly reminder that here at EarnBetter, we have a free tool to customize your cover letters - click here to get started and see the magic for yourself!
- Create a base cover letter that you love. Invest time into making it perfect. Crafting a base cover letter that you love can not only be helpful for job applications, but also empowering. Taking the time to make your letter perfect is invaluable - although it may initially feel like a chore, writing and reworking your cover letter until it best reflects your style, strengths, and long-term goals ensures that when it comes time to submit your application you will have something you are proud of. You can use elements of the same template letter to apply for multiple job opportunities without having to start from scratch; making changes here and there will ensure each cover letters conveys a unique message while simultaneously proving the consistency and strong effort that employers seek. Investing your time into building a great foundation for all future cover letters will pay off in the long run!
- Leave placeholders for very simple incorporation of the specific company and role. It can be a challenge to ensure that all references to a specific company or role within a document remain current and relevant. To this end, use placeholders whenever you will want to reference a specific company or position, making it easy to update when you are customizing.
- Do your research about the company, values and what it's like to work there! Taking the time to research the company you’re applying for is absolutely essential. Glassdoor, a trusted information resource with reviews from current and former employees, makes it easy to get great insight into what it’s like to work there, their values and culture. Through Glassdoor you can research what matters to you such as company benefits, job satisfaction, CEO’s performance and other related topics.
- Find 1-2 things that appeal to you and add 2-3 sentences calling them out. Don't do too much here, but just a couple of short sentences referencing the research that you did can go a long way towards making the recruiter feel like you are really excited to apply with them specifically!
- Save the files in an organized fashion on your hard drive! Want to avoid applying with the wrong one :) Self explanatory, but often can become a pain. Keep your folders and job search organized by properly labeling a finalized cover letter. That way when you attach it to your application you don't make the all-to-common mistake of attaching another company's cover letter!